[ Generic Ingredients for Epilepsy Treatment ]
According to the data provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, cases of Epilepsy are on rise in America. 3 million adults and 470,000 children are affected by the disease. Active Epilepsy reported in the U.S is about 1.2 percent of the population. Among children, 59,800 are reported with active Epilepsy, whereas among adults it is 367,900 in California alone. The study shows thatrise in cases are observed because of growth in population of America.
Epilepsy is a condition in which your central nervous system gets affected by seizures that occurs in the brain. It is chronic communicable disease and characterized by formation of two or more seizures in the part of brain. It can accompany with unusual brain activity, consciousness or control of bowel or bladder function. In a group of brain cells excessive electrical discharge occur due to seizures. It can cause loss of attention, consciousness or awareness.
Causes of Epilepsy
There are some identifiable causes in Epilepsy. In spite of nearly half of the people are unaware of the condition. The causes that can be identified are mentioned below.
- Genetics: The type of seizures or part of the brain affected,is genetic and the condition can run in families. This can be a genetically influenced
- Prenatal defects: In prenatal condition, poor nutrition, oxygen deficiency, or infection to mother can damage brain of the baby
- Traumatic brain injury: Car accident or any traumatic head injury can cause Epilepsy
- Infectious diseases: Viral encephalitis, meningitis, and AIDS like infectious diseases can cause Epilepsy
- Developmental disorders: Autism and Neurofibromatosis might be the cause of this disease
Diagnosis of Epilepsy
To diagnose medical condition like Epilepsy you need to inform doctor about your medical history and symptoms. There are some medical tests you need to perform, they are mentioned below.
- Neurological Examination: To diagnose type of epilepsy you are suffering from, the doctor will check your behavior and motor abilities
- Blood Tests: To check conditions associated with seizures, genetics, and infections
- Electroencephalogram: To detect the changes in the normal pattern of the brain
- High Density EEG: To detect more precisely which areas of your brain is affected by seizures
- Computerized Tomography (CT) Scan: To detect abnormalities in your brain that causes seizures
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging: This test also helps to detect cause of seizures in your brain
- Functional MRI(fMRI):To identify the exact location of critical functions
- Positron Emission Tomography: To detect active areas of the brain and abnormalities
- Single-photon Emission Computerized Tomography:It gives 3-D map of blood flow in your brain during seizures
- Neuropsychological Tests: To detect affected areas of your brain
- Statistical Parametric Mapping: To detect the origin of the seizures
- Curry Analysis: To detect and find plots where seizures are occur
- Magnetoencephalography: To detect the potential areas of seizure onset
Symptoms of Epilepsy
Repeated seizures occur in Epilepsy, which is the main symptom of the condition. Besides this following are some symptoms that occur persistently .
- Confused memory
- Intermittent fainting spells, during which bowel or bladder control is lost, which is frequently followed by extreme tiredness
- No response to instructions or questions
- Narcolepsy or recurring episodes of sleep during the day
- Sudden stiffness
- falling no clear reason
- Sudden bouts of blinking without apparent stimuli
- Sudden bouts of chewing, without any apparent reason
- Dizziness and unable to communicate
- Fugue states, a rare psychiatric disorder
- Repetitive movements that seem inappropriate
- Feeling fearful for no apparent reason
- Changes in senses, such as smell, touch, and sound
- Rapid jerking movements
- Convulsion with no temperature
- Panic attacks
- Cataplexy, or periods of extreme muscle weakness
- Trouble in sleeping/Nightmares
- Psychogenic seizures
Treatment for Epilepsy
In most of the cases patient suffering from Epilepsy get free from seizures by consuming anti-epileptic drugs. There are some best medicines that treat seizures very effectively. The medicines are mentioned below:
Carbamazepine is an anticonvulsant or anti-epileptic drug that prevents and controls seizures for treatingepilepsy. It relieves certain types of nerve pain like trigeminal neuralgia. Some of the top brands like,Carbatrol, Epitol, and Tegretol use Carbamazepine as an active ingredient treats the condition well. Carbamazepine is available in 200 mg dose, composed in white round conventional tablet and packed as 10 tablets per blister. The medicine shows its effects within two weeks of the treatment. You need to take some precautions while treating with this medicine. Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit should be avoided. Consumption of alcoholic beverages or drugs like marijuana strictly prohibited. You should apply sunscreen while stepping out in the sunlight. Carbamazepine can make you feel dizzy. The leading pharmaceutical company Sun pharma manufactured this medicine.
Divalproex is a medicine that treats epilepsy or seizure disorders and certain psychiatric conditions like manic phase of bipolar disorder. It prevents migraine headaches and restores the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. Divalproex is use as an active ingredient in top brand like Depakote to treat these health conditions. Divalproex is available in dosages, Divalproex 250 mg and Divalproex 500 mg. The medicine is composed as oval conventional tablet and packed as 15 tablets per blister. Some medical tests like, liver function test, complete blood counts, clotting test, and drugs level regularly are to be performed while treating with Divalproex. Be careful aware while using sharp objects like razors and nail cutters. During consumption of this medication you should avoid sports that need body contact Sanofi Aventis manufactures Divalproex.
Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug that prevents and controls seizures caused by Epilepsy. It relieves nerve pain following shingle a painful rash due to herpes zoster infection in adults. Top brand like Neurontinuse Gabapentin as an active ingredient in medicines to treat this type of condition. Gabapentin is available in dosages Gabapentin 300 mg and Gabapentin 400 mg.It is composed as oval conventional tablet and packed as 10 tablets per blister. Gabapentin is offered by trusted global pharmaceutical company Sun pharma.