Around 200 million people across the world reported with the symptoms of Overactive Bladder. In the U.S. 25 million adults are suffering from some kind of urinary incontinence. Among those nearly 75-80% people are women. It is observed that, one in the four women above the age of 18 experience symptoms of Overactive Bladder. It is mostly observed in women than in men. Pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause are major factors causing Overactive Bladder in women.
When you have trouble urinary symptoms like sudden, uncontrolled need to urinate you might have Overactive bladder. This condition is not a disease. In some cases people might leak urine when they feel to urinate. In people with Overactive Bladder, feel to urgent urination nearly 8 or more times a day and night too. Incontinence means leaking urine. Another common bladder problem Stress urinary incontinence in which people leak while sneezing, laughing, or doing something stressful physical activity.
Causes of Overactive Bladder
When you have Overactive Bladder, you experience some problems related to urination or same kind. There are some factors that can cause urinary tract infections or Overactive Bladder. The factors are mentioned below:
- Involuntary bladder contractions: When your muscles of the bladder contract involuntarily that creates the urgent need to urinate even if there is low amount of urine
- Diabetes, neurological disorders, medications, acute urinary tract infections, abnormalities in the bladder, enlarged prostate, excess consumption of caffeine or alcohol, older age, incomplete bladder emptying, trouble while walking may also cause you overactive bladder condition
There are some risk factors that increases the chances of Overactive Bladder as mentioned below:
- Age: As you grow older you are at higher risk to cause overactive bladder. You may lose control over your bladder
- Gender: It is mostly observed in the females. Menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause affect women and can cause Overactive bladder
- Over Weight: If you are overweight or obese then, it can affect to the blood flow and nerve activity in the bladder. It leads to Overactive Bladder
- Neurologic disorders: If you have neurological disorder you may have lost signals between your brain and bladder
- Hormone changes: Due to hormonal changes in the body, you can cause Overactive Bladder
- Pelvic Problem: If you have a problem in pelvic area or have muscle weakness or spasms you may at high risk for overactive bladder
- Medication: When you consume particular medicine for longer time it may cause you bladder problem
Diagnosis of Overactive bladder
If you experience frequent urge to urinate then you need to check if you have any infection or blood in urine and either you are emptying bladder completely or not. The doctor will check on the basis of following.
- Medical history: If you have any kind of urinary disease or problem before. You need to consult your history with the doctor
- Physical examination: You need to go through physical examination to check abdomen or genitals
- Urine Test: To check abnormalities in your urine, infection or blood in the urine, you need to check your urine in the laboratories
- Neurological examination: To identify sensory problems or abnormal reflexes you need to do this test
- Checkup of urinary bladder: This test checks your bladder in case you left urine after urinating
- Urine flow rate: You need to urinate in an uroflowmeter to check volume and speed of voiding
- Testing bladder pressures: To check the pressure in the bladder and in the area around during filling the bladder. Cystometry measures it
Symptoms of Overactive bladder
If you have Overactive bladder, you experience some symptoms as mentioned below:
Sudden and frequent urination, difficult to control urination, involuntary loss of urine immediately after an urgent need to urinate, nocturia, urinate eight or more times in 24 hours.
Treatment for Overactive bladder
Bethanechol chloride is an active ingredient used in the treatment of overactive bladder. Odyssey Pharm is a leading pharmaceutical company that manufactures Urecholine medicine. It works by coordination with the bladder muscle to squeeze better so as to improve the ability to urinate. This drug is also used to treat heartburn that helps the stomach muscles move food down out of the stomach faster.
Enablex is a popular brand medication that has been used in the treatment of overactive bladder. Darifenacin Hydrobromide is the main active component used in the above medication. Allergan pharmaceuticals, a well-known pharmaceutical company that manufactures this medicine. It belongs to a group of medications known as antispasmodics that reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract. It treats symptoms of overactive bladder by blocking the M3 muscarinic acetylcholine receptor responsible for bladder muscle contractions.
Torrent Pharmaceuticals, the renowned pharmaceutical company has been manufacturing company that offers a popular brand medicine Urispas. This medication is composed of the main active component Flavoxate. It treats overactive bladder i.e. a condition in which the bladder muscles contract uncontrollably. It also causes frequent urination, urgent need to urinate, and inability to control urination, frequent, or nighttime urination and urgency that may occur with infections of the prostate, bladder, or kidneys.
Mirabegron is the main active component used in the medication that treats symptoms of overactive bladder. Cardinal Health, a trusted pharmaceutical company that manufactures a popular brand medicine Myrbetriq. It belongs to a class of drugs called beta-3 adrenergic agonists that works by relaxing the muscle that surrounds the bladder.
Ditropan is the popular brand medicine which is used in the treatment of overactive bladder. Oxybutynin Chloride is the active ingredient used in the medication. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, the well-known pharmaceutical company that has been manufacturing this medication. It belongs to a class of drugs known as anticholinergics/antimuscarinics that works by relaxing the muscles of the bladder that reduces the sudden need to urinate, frequent urination, and leaking in between bathroom visits.
Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium is the main active component in the medication that treats the above condition. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a renowned pharmaceutical company that offers a popular brand medicine Elmiron. It treats pain/discomfort from a certain bladder disorder or interstitial cystitis. It acts by producing a layer on the bladder wall and protecting it from harmful/irritating substances in the urine.
Rapaflo is a popular brand medication that has been used in the treatment of overactive bladder. Silodosin is the main active component used in this medicine. Allergan Pharma, a well-known pharmaceutical company that manufactures this medicine. It is an alpha-blocker drug intended for the treatment of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia in men.
Vesicare medication composed of active ingredient Solifenacin Succinate is used to treat overactive bladder. GlaxoSmithKline is one of the top pharmaceutical companies that offer this medicine.
Pharmacia & Upjohn is one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical companies that manufacture popular brand medication like Detrol. Tolterodine Tartrate is the main active component used in this drug. It is an antispasmodic that is indicated to treat an overactive bladder. This relaxing the muscles in the bladder, this drug improves the ability to control urination.