Viral attack on the respiratory system called as Influenza. Influenza is usually called the flu. It is not same as stomach flu.
It is observed that, Influenza resolves at its own. But influenza and its complications can be dangerous. The risk for the condition includes as follows:
- Kids under 5 years old
- Old people. Elder than 65
- Nursing home residents
- Pregnant women
- Weakened immune system people
- Patients of chronic illnesses like, asthma, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease
- Overweight people
Causes of Influenza
Flu viruses can travel through air in the form of droplets when infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. It can easily inhale by you the droplets directly or germs can be picked up by things like telephone or computer keyboard and then transferred to the eyes, nose or mouth.
Children and people who have weakened immune systems are more likely contagious for a longer time.
The viruses are changing continuously. If you have already suffered from the condition then, your body can fight with the virus if it come again in the body with the same strain.
Risk factors for the Influenza:
- Age: Seasonal influenza usually targets children or teenagers
- Living or working conditions: People living in the more prone area to viruses are at higher risk to develop Influenza
- Weakened immune system: Weakened immune system can easily get affected with the viruses that causes Influenza
- Chronic illnesses: Chronic diseases like, asthma, diabetes or heart problems are at higher risk for the condition
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women are more likely to get this condition due to weak immune system
- Obesity: More the weight more you prone to have Influenza
Diagnosis of Influenza
Diagnosis of the condition is depends upon the symptoms and severity of the condition.
Physical examination: The doctor will conduct this test to look for signs of influenza and arrange a test to diagnose the condition.
Rapid Influenza diagnostics test: It is the most commonly used test to diagnose this condition. It determines antigens from the back of the nose or throat. It gives result in 15 minutes. Results are not accurate always but, the doctor checks it and draws a further examination.
Symptoms of Influenza
Symptoms of Influenza are like flu. Generally, they are common cold with a runny nose, sneezing and sore throat. Later it develops.
Common signs and symptoms of Influenza are given below:
- High fever
- Muscle ache
- Sweats and chills
- Severe headache
- Persistent cough
- Dry cough
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
Treatment for Influenza
Amantadine is an active ingredient used in the medicines to treat Flu. Symmetrel is a popular drug that has been used to treat flu symptoms. Endo Pharma, is a leading pharmaceuticals that has been manufacturing this medicine. It blocks the multiplying of influenza A virus in the body. In people with Parkinson’s disease and drug-induced movement disorders, it increases the effect of a chemical in the brain called dopamine. It helps the body better control the movements.
Tamiflu is a branded popular medication composed of Oseltamivir Phosphate ingredient. Genentech Pharmaceuticals is the fastest growing company that offers this drug. This antiviral drug works by attacking the flu virus to keep it from multiplying in the body and by decreasing the symptoms of the flu. This condition of flu is a respiratory infection that leads to the symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains, cough, and sore throat.