More than 11% of American women between the ages of 15 to 44 reported with Endometriosis. It is found that women in their 30s and 40s commonly affected with this condition. With Endometriosis, it is difficult to conceive for a woman. It is estimated that nearly 3% to 10% of women in reproductive age are affected with Endometriosis.
The tissue, which forms the lining of the womb or uterine line found on the other parts or organs inside the body, is called Endometriosis. It is a disease of menstruation. It is mainly found in the lower abdomen, pelvic area, and spaces between bladders or on other parts. Women with Endometriosis usually experienced pain in the pelvic region during menstruation or intercourse. Sometimes, women show no symptoms during this condition.
Causes of Endometriosis
The exact cause of endometriosis is not definite but, there are some possible explanations for causes as mentioned below:
Transformation of peritoneal cells: The cells that line the inner side of the abdomen known as a peritoneal cell. These cells transform into endometrial cells due to immune factors or hormones.
Retrograde menstruation: Due to retrograde menstruation, the blood, which contains endometrial cells, flows back into the pelvic cavity and fallopian tubes. Because of this opposite flow of blood endometrial cells stick to the walls and surfaces of pelvic organs and start growing.
Surgical scar implantation: Endometrial cells can be attached to a surgical incision after surgery.
Embryonic cell transformation: In some cases, hormones like estrogen may transform embryonic cells into endometrial cells during puberty.
Endometrial cell transport: Endometrial cells can be transported to other parts of the body through blood vessels or tissue fluid.
Immune system disorder: A person suffering from immune system disorder may not able to destroy Endometrial cells naturally, which are growing outside the uterus.
Diagnosis of Endometriosis
For diagnosis of endometriosis and other conditions, which can cause pelvic pain you need to perform some medical tests as mentioned below:
- Ultrasound: It gives the best view if reproductive organs, which can identify cysts caused by Endometriosis
- Pelvic exam: The doctor will examine your pelvic area to determine abnormalities
- Laparoscopy: It gives the location, extent size of the cysts or abnormalities observed in the affected area
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): It gives précised images and helps to diagnose Endometriosis conditions
- Biopsy: Sometimes biopsy needs to be done to detect other problems that cause due to this
Symptoms of Endometriosis
Endometriosis causes pelvic pain primarily, mostly associated with menstrual periods. Many experience cramps or pain during their menstrual flow. But, with Endometriosis menstrual pain can be more severe than usual.
Common symptoms of Endometriosis are mentioned below:
- Painful periods: It is called dysmenorrhea. In this condition, you might experience lower back or stomach pain. Pain may arise before the menstrual cycle starts
- Pain with intercourse: One can have pain during or after sex with Endometriosis
- Pain with urination or bowel movements: You can feel pain during natural processes like urination or bowel movements.
- Excessive bleeding: You might have more bleeding than usual in menstrual periods or after periods
- Infertility: Many women treating for infertility experience this type of condition
There are some other signs that can occur due to Endometriosis such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea or bloating, severe pain in the abdomen.
Treatment for Endometriosis
Sanofi Pharmaceutical is one of the trusted pharmaceutical companies manufactures Danocrine medication used in the treatment of above condition. Danazol is an active component used in this medication, which is an androgen similar to testosterone hormone. It treats endometriosis and fibrocystic breast disease it decreases the number of hormones produced by the ovaries.
Provera is one of the popular brand medicines used in the treatment of given condition. Medroxyprogesterone is the main active component used in in this medicine. The well-known pharmaceutical company Pharmacia and Upjohn, manufactures this medicine. This medicine helps regulate other hormones in the body and works in different ways.