Treatment for fungal infections can be done with the help of natural remedies or antifungal medications. The reason for fungal infections can be many, as various factors can be held responsible for exposing your body to infectious fungi. Some might develop an infection through breathing the infectious pathogens from the air, while some might come into contact with such pathogens through contaminated water, and so on.
There is no need to worry too much about such infections, as they can be managed at home or with the help of prescription as well as non-prescription medications. This blog will make you aware of some effective treatment options for fungal infections, keep reading.
What are the types of fungal infections?
Some common types of fungal infections are listed below:
- Jock itch – Appears around thighs and groin area.
- Ringworm – Can appear anywhere on the body.
- Athlete’s foot – Appears between the toes.
- Yeast infection – Can affect the skin, mouth, genitals, urinary tract, and gastrointestinal tract.
- Nail fungal infection
Treatment with antifungal medications
Antifungals are available on prescription or non-prescription. The OTC options can be helpful in effectively dealing with fungal infections. But sometimes they might not obtain any result or might not suit the individual. In such a case it is preferable to see the doctor and get appropriate medication for your infection.
Moreover, Antifungals can come in various options. Some options are available in the form of medications like pills, tablets, capsules, or liquid for oral administration. Antifungals are also available as creams, ointments, and lotions, which can be directly applied on the surface when the infection has occurred on the skin, scalp, or nail. Some fungal infections emerging in the genitals, especially in females, can be treated with vaginal suppositories. And lastly, antifungal injections are also available as an option.
Downsides of antifungals
Antifungal medications might not be suitable for everyone. They can produce some side effects in the mild category, which might include fever, rashes, itchiness, burning sensation, redness, abdominal pain, or diarrhea. These are mild effects that disappear after some time.
Moreover, Some people may develop an allergic reaction to such medications. The substances found in such medications might not suit some people and therefore the person might develop some allergic reactions such as swelling or blister formation on the face, tongue, or neck. One must immediately see their doctor in case of an allergy.
Treatment with natural remedies
- Try honey – Use raw honey to kill off infectious pathogens. Raw honey is an excellent source of hydrogen peroxide which destroys the fungus. Moreover, Applying it on the infected surface will prevent the infection from spreading and returning.
- Apply turmeric – Turmeric has strong antifungal properties, which ward off infectious pathogens. Moreover, It helps in destroying pathogens and eliminates any damage.
- Use neem – Neem comes with strong antimicrobial properties which help you in getting rid of infectious fungi. It prevents all skin-related ailments.
- Pick aloe vera – Aloe vera is an excellent herb that is packed with antifungal as well as anti-bacterial properties. Moreover, It soothes the surface and increases its hydration.
Downsides of natural remedies
Moreover, The use of natural remedies for the treatment of fungal infections might yield effective results sometimes. They might not work fast in relieving the infection. Also, their effectiveness cannot be guaranteed. Although they produce slow results, they might not give rise to any side effects.
Ways to prevent fungal infections
- Prioritize hygiene and sanitation
- Wear clean and tidy clothes
- Eat clean and healthy
- Drink purified water
- Avoid walking barefoot
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently
Who needs to be careful?
Fungal infections are not to be afraid of, as these treatment remedies will indeed work on treating the condition. It might not cause any serious issues. However, some individuals might pose a higher risk due to such infections. A weakened immune system response can lead to severe health problems.
Individuals with a weak immune system need to contact their healthcare provider after developing some fungal infection. Lack of immunity reduces the body’s ability to fight off infectious pathogens, which can cause damage to body parts and organs. Moreover, This can even lead to life-threatening consequences.
The individuals that need to be extremely careful are:
- Those who have an autoimmune disease.
- Individuals having HIV/AIDS.
- Individuals suffering from cancer or getting chemotherapy.
- Those who had an organ transplant surgery.
- Individuals who had a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.
Moreover, Getting the treatment at the right time is essential, which can prevent the infection from exacerbating. Home remedies can be a natural way of managing the condition, but sometimes they might not improve the condition due to slow action, however, it will not produce any side effects though. With the aid of antifungal medications, one can obtain the desired results a bit faster, and their infection will go away within a few days, note that, antifungals do cause some side effects.