[ Generic Ingredients for Overactive Bladder Treatment ]
About Overactive Bladder
Around 200 million people across the world reported with the symptoms of Overactive Bladder. In the U.S. 25 million adults are suffering from some kind of urinary incontinence. Among those nearly 75-80% people are women. It is observed that, one in the four women above the age of 18 experience symptoms of Overactive Bladder. It is mostly observed in women than in men. Pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause are major factors causing Overactive Bladder in women.
When you have trouble urinary symptoms like sudden, uncontrolled need to urinate you might have Overactive bladder. This condition is not a disease. In some cases people might leak urine when they feel to urinate. In people with Overactive Bladder, feel to urgent urination nearly 8 or more times a day and night too. Incontinence means leaking urine. Another common bladder problem Stress urinary incontinence in which people leak while sneezing, laughing, or doing something stressful physical activity.
Causes of Overactive Bladder
When you have Overactive Bladder, you experience some problems related to urination or same kind. There are some factors that can cause urinary tract infections or Overactive Bladder. The factors are mentioned below:
- Involuntary bladder contractions: When your muscles of the bladder contract involuntarily that creates the urgent need to urinate even if there is low amount of urine
- Diabetes, neurological disorders, medications, acute urinary tract infections, abnormalities in the bladder, enlarged prostate, excess consumption of caffeine or alcohol, older age, incomplete bladder emptying, trouble while walking may also cause you overactive bladder condition
There are some risk factors that increases the chances of Overactive Bladder as mentioned below:
- Age: As you grow older you are at higher risk to cause overactive bladder. You may lose control over your bladder
- Gender: It is mostly observed in the females. Menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause affect women and can cause Overactive bladder
- Over Weight: If you are overweight or obese then, it can affect to the blood flow and nerve activity in the bladder. It leads to Overactive Bladder
- Neurologic disorders: If you have neurological disorder you may have lost signals between your brain and bladder
- Hormone changes: Due to hormonal changes in the body, you can cause Overactive Bladder
- Pelvic Problem: If you have a problem in pelvic area or have muscle weakness or spasms you may at high risk for overactive bladder
- Medication: When you consume particular medicine for longer time it may cause you bladder problem
Diagnosis of Overactive bladder
If you experience frequent urge to urinate then you need to check if you have any infection or blood in urine and either you are emptying bladder completely or not. The doctor will check on the basis of following.
- Medical history: If you have any kind of urinary disease or problem before. You need to consult your history with the doctor
- Physical examination: You need to go through physical examination to check abdomen or genitals
- Urine Test: To check abnormalities in your urine, infection or blood in the urine, you need to check your urine in the laboratories
- Neurological examination: To identify sensory problems or abnormal reflexes you need to do this test
- Checkup of urinary bladder: This test checks your bladder in case you left urine after urinating
- Urine flow rate: You need to urinate in an uroflowmeter to check volume and speed of voiding
- Testing bladder pressures: To check the pressure in the bladder and in the area around during filling the bladder. Cystometry measures it
Symptoms of Overactive bladder
If you have Overactive bladder, you experience some symptoms as mentioned below:
Sudden and frequent urination, difficult to control urination, involuntary loss of urine immediately after an urgent need to urinate, nocturia, urinate eight or more times in 24 hours.
Treatment for Overactive bladder
You can treat Overactive bladder in many ways. There are some medicines, which can help you relax your muscles in the urinary tract. One of these medicines is mentioned below:
Flavoxate is a smooth-muscle relaxant that treats overactive bladder or certain bladder/urinary tract symptoms. It relaxes the muscles in the bladder, reduces leaking of urine, feelings of needing to urinate right away, frequent trips to the bathroom, and bladder pain. Flavoxate does not treats bladder symptoms e.g. urinary tract/bladder/prostate infection or inflammation. A popular brand like Urispas uses Flavoxate as an active ingredient in their products to treat Overactive Bladder. The medicine is composed as white round conventional tablet and packed as 10 tablets per blister. Consult your doctor in case of stomach/intestinal blockage (e.g., pyloric/duodenal obstruction, ileus), bleeding from the stomach or intestines, bladder blockage before consuming Flavoxate. In case of medical history like heart problems (e.g., fast/irregular heartbeat, heart failure), a certain eye condition (glaucoma), kidney problems, certain muscle disease (myasthenia gravis), enlarged prostate gland, stomach/intestinal problems (e.g., infection, acid-reflux disease, chronic constipation, ulcerative colitis), overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), you need to talk to your doctor before treating with Flavoxate. The medicine is offered by one of the top pharmaceutical companies, Sun Pharmaceutical Ltd.