A chronic inflammatory disorder Rheumatoid Arthritis affects your joints. The condition can injure various body systems such as eyes, skin, heart, lungs, and blood vessels. The condition is an autoimmune disorder, which occur when the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s parts or various tissues. It is not kind of osteoarthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis usually affects the lining of the joints and causes pain with swelling. This may result in bone erosion and joint deformation. The inflammation due to Rheumatoid Arthritis can damage other parts of the body.
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The exact cause of Rheumatoid Arthritis is not proven. But there are some factors seem to contribute in increasing the chances of developing this health condition. Following are some factors that increase risk of developing Rheumatoid Arthritis as mentioned below:
- Age: The risk of the developing this health condition increases with the age
- Sex: Women are active than men in case of developing Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Obesity: Being overweight or Obese is the higher risk of causing this condition
- Smoking: Habits like smoking can be injurious to the health and higher risk of causing condition
- Family history: If there is a member with RA in your immediate family then you are at higher risk then others
- Injury: Injuries like fracture, breakage, ligament damage, or dislocation of joints can put you on high risk of developing RA
- Environmental exposure: Exposure to asbestos or silica like elements can increase the risk of causing Rheumatoid Arthritis
Diagnosis Rheumatoid Arthritis
It is very difficult to diagnose Rheumatoid Arthritis in its early stages. There are some methods and tests to diagnose this condition as mentioned below:
- Physical Examination: The doctor will check your joints, swelling in the joints, redness & warmth, reflexes and muscle strength
- Blood tests: In Rheumatoid Arthritis people often experience an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate i.e. ESR or C-reactive protein i.e. CRP that indicates the presence of an inflammatory sign in the body. Other blood tests to detect rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibodies
- Imaging tests: X-ray to track the progress of RA in the joints. MRI & Ultrasound also helps the doctor to check severity of the condition
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid Arthritis shows some severe signs as mentioned below:
- Swollen joints, tenderness or warmness in the joints
- Joint stiffness usually after the activity or in the morning
- Loss of appetite
- Fever or fatigue
- The conditions affect smaller joints first like near fingers
- The pain increases towards knees, elbows, wrists, ankles, shoulders and hips.
The condition also affects non-joint areas also, patients with RA can experience issues with the following parts of the body:
- Salivary glands
- Nerve tissue
- Bone marrow
- Blood vessels
Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Azathioprine is an active component used in the medication to treat RA. GSK Is a trusted pharmaceutical company that manufactures a popular brand medicine Imuran. It acts by reducing the activity of the body’s immune system. This drug keeps the immune system from attacking and damaging the joints. In the kidney transplant, this medicine keeps the immune system from attacking the newly transplanted kidney.
Celebrex is a popular brand medication composed of active component Celecoxib. It is used in the treatment of RA. GD Searle a leading pharmaceutical company has been manufacturing this medicine.It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that blocks an enzyme called cyclooxygenase. It acts in the body to produce chemicals that cause pain and inflammation.
Arava is an effective medicine composed of Leflunomide as the main active component. Sanofi, a well-known pharmaceutical company has manufactured this medicine. It decreases the inflammation by suppressing the activity of immune cells leads to the inflammation. It also acts by suppressing immune cells by inhibiting dihydroorotate dehydrogenase. It cannot multiply or function since it has a unique and different mechanism of action. It can be used with other medications to treat rheumatoid arthritis
Azurity, one of the well-known pharmaceutical companies offers the popular brand medicine Trexall. It is composed of main active ingredient Methotrexate Sodium. This mentioned medication works uniquely to treat each condition. It works by making it harder for the body to repair DNA. Cells in the body that grow rapidly react to this effect.
G.D. Searle LLC, a renowned pharmaceutical company that manufactures Daypro. Oxaprozin is the main active component used in that medicine. It belongs to a class of drugs nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is prescribed for the treatment of pain, inflammation, and fever. Oxaprozin may help decrease swelling by reducing levels of prostaglandin, a hormone-like substance that usually causes inflammation.
Cuprimine is a popular brand medicine composed of active ingredient Penicillamine. This medication has been manufactured by the fastest growing company, Valeant Pharmaceuticals. It treats rheumatoid arthritis and a condition in which high levels of copper in the body cause damage to the liver, brain, and other organs. It helps to decrease pain/tenderness/swelling in the joints and decreases the copper level that improves liver function and the mental/mood/nerve problems.
Feldene is one of the effective medications used for the treatment of RA. It has composed of active component Piroxicam. This medicine has been offered by popoular pharmaceutical company Pfizer. This drug belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that reduces pain, inflammation, and fever. It may help reduce swelling by reducing levels of prostaglandin, a hormone-like substance that usually induces inflammation.