Fildena (Viagra) is used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence; inability to get or keep an erection) in men. Fildena (Revatio) is used to improve the ability to exercise in adults with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH; high blood pressure in the vessels carrying blood to the lungs, causing shortness of breath, dizziness, and tiredness).
Why Is This Medication Prescribed?
Children should not usually take Fildena, but in some cases, a doctor may decide that Fildena (Revatio) is the best medication to treat a child’s condition. Fildena is in a class of medications called phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors. Fildena treats erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation. This increased blood flow can cause an erection. Fildena treats PAH by relaxing the blood vessels in the lungs to allow blood to flow easily.
If you are taking Fildena to treat erectile dysfunction, you should know that it does not cure erectile dysfunction or increase sexual desire. Fildena does not prevent pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
How Should This Medicine Be Used?
Fildena comes as a tablet and suspension (liquid; Revatio only) to take by mouth.
- Moreover, If you are taking Fildena to treat erectile dysfunction, follow your doctor’s directions and the guidelines in this paragraph. Take Fildena as needed before sexual activity. The best time to take Fildena is about 1 hour before sexual activity, but you can take the medication any time from 4 hours to 30 minutes before sexual activity
- Fildena usually should not be taken more than once every 24 hours. If you have certain health conditions or are taking certain medications, your doctor may tell you to take Fildena less often. You can take Fildena with or without food. However, if you take Fildena with a high-fat meal, it will take longer for the medication to start to work.
- If you are taking Fildena to treat PAH, follow your doctor’s directions and the guidelines in this paragraph. You will probably take Fildena three times a day with or without food. Take Fildena at around the same times every day, and space your doses about 4 to 6 hours apart.
Direction To Use Fildena
- Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take Fildena exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
- Shake the liquid well for 10 seconds before each use to mix the medication evenly. Use the oral syringe provided with your medication to measure and take your dose. Follow the manufacturer’s directions to use and clean the oral syringe. Do not mix the liquid with other medications or add anything to flavor the medication.
- Moreover, If you are taking Fildena for erectile dysfunction, your doctor will probably start you on an average dose of Fildena and increase or decrease your dose depending on your response to the medication. Tell your doctor if Fildena is not working well or if you are experiencing side effects.
- If you are taking Fildena for PAH, you should know that Fildena controls PAH but does not cure it. Continue to take Fildena even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Fildena without talking to your doctor.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy of the manufacturer’s information for the patient.
Other Uses For This Medicine
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What Special Precautions Should I Follow?
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Fildena, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in Fildena products. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- Are you a woman and you are taking Fildena to treat PAH, tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking Fildena, call your doctor.
- Moreover, If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are taking Fildena.
- Taking Fildena to treat erectile dysfunction, tell your doctor if you have ever been advised by a healthcare professional to avoid sexual activity for medical reasons or if you have ever experienced chest pain during sexual activity. Sexual activity may be a strain on your heart, especially if you have heart disease. If you experience chest pain, dizziness, or nausea during sexual activity, call your doctor immediately and avoid sexual activity until your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Tell all your healthcare providers that you are taking Fildena. If you ever need emergency medical treatment for a heart problem, the healthcare providers who treat you will need to know when you last took Fildena.
What Side Effects Can This Medication Cause?
Fildena may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- Flushing (feeling of warmth)
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Numbness, burning, or tingling in the arms, hands, feet, or legs
- Muscle aches
- Changes in color vision (seeing a blue tinge on objects or having difficulty telling the difference between blue and green)
- Sensitivity to light
- Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- Sudden severe loss of vision (see below for more information)
- Blurred vision
- Sudden decrease or loss of hearing
- Ringing in ears
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Chest pain
- Worsening shortness of breath
- Erection that is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours
- Itching or burning during urination
Some patients experienced a sudden loss of some or all of their vision after they took Fildena or other medications that are similar to Fildena. The vision loss was permanent in some cases. Moreover, It is not known if the vision loss was caused by the medication. If you experience a sudden loss of vision while you are taking Fildena, call your doctor immediately. Do not take any more doses of Fildena or similar medications such as tadalafil (Cialis) or vardenafil (Levitra) until you talk to your doctor.