Diabetes-like condition is a chronic disease that might occur when the pancreas is no longer able to make insulin, or when the body might not be able to make good use of the insulin which is produced.
Insulin is a hormone which is made by the pancreas, which shall all acts like a key to let glucose from the food one might eat pass from the bloodstream into the cells in the body for producing energy.
All carbohydrate foods are well broken down into glucose in the blood. Insulin can also help glucose to get into the cells.
Not being able to produce insulin or use it effectively might lead to raised glucose levels in the blood (called hyperglycemia). Over the long-term high glucose levels might be associated with damage to the body and failure of various organs and all those tissues.
Types Of Diabetes
There are three main types of diabetes type 1, type 2, and gestational.
- Type 1 diabetes can all develop at any age, but it might also occur most frequently in children and adolescents. When one might have type 1 diabetes, the body shall produce very little or no insulin which also means that one might need daily insulin injections to maintain blood glucose levels under complete control.
- Type 2 diabetes is common in adults and accounts for around approx. 90% of all diabetes cases. When you might have type 2 diabetes kind of diabetes, your body might not make good use of the insulin that is well produced. The cornerstone of type 2 diabetes treatment is just a healthy lifestyle, which shall include increased physical activity and a healthy diet. However, over some time, most people with type 2 diabetes shall all need oral drugs and/or insulin for taking their blood glucose levels under complete control
- Gestational diabetes (GDM) is a type of diabetes that might all consist of high blood glucose while pregnancy and is well associated with complications for both mother and child. GDM might all disappears after pregnancy but women affected and their children are at enhanced risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life
What Are The Complications Of Diabetes?
Type 1 and type 2 diabetes can lead to some other health issues if it is not controlled well. But one must also try to not let this worry you, the doctor shall review the symptoms and treatment plan with you to lower the risk of complications.
Some of the complications of diabetes might all occur at any time and some can also build up over time. The complications can include the below:
- Eye and sight issues
- Gum disease and teeth issues
- Difficulty in getting sexually aroused
- Being more likely to get thrush or urinary tract infections
- Nerve damage that shall affect feeling, moving, or hearing
- Heart and circulatory diseases including heart attack, stroke, and vascular dementia
- Feeling shaky, sweaty, or disorientated from a quick rise or dip in blood sugar levels
- Diabetic ketoacidosis – when the body cannot use sugar for energy it might start to use fat instead, this mostly affects type 1 diabetics.
Diabetic ketoacidosis is a severe condition. It is important for knowing the signs. In case, you or someone might be diabetic and are showing symptoms, they might call 999 or go to A&E immediately.
How Is Diabetes Treated?
The treatments for conditions like type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be slightly different. Eating a healthy balanced diet and being physically active are all well recommended for supporting the treatment for both types, especially including type 2.
This is all because of type 2 diabetes which is well-linked to having excess weight or obesity. But it can also help one to sleep better and feel more energized.
The treatment for type 1 diabetes is insulin injections multiple times a day, performing regular exercise, and a healthy balanced diet.
People with conditions like type 1 diabetes cannot make insulin as their body attacks the cells which shall make it. This might also mean that the body might all need to be given insulin for controlling their blood sugar levels. And they might all need to monitor their blood sugar levels multiple times a day.
There are various types of insulin injections. In case, you might have type 1 diabetes, the doctor shall explain the types of insulin one might need, how usually one might also need them and how to check the blood sugar levels.
The treatment for type 2 diabetes is usually medication and a keen focus on performing regular exercise and a healthy balanced diet.
Most people might need medication to control their type 2 diabetes. The medicine might help to lower the amount of sugar in the blood. This can also lower the risk of developing another health issue including heart and circulatory diseases.
Sometimes, people with a condition like type 2 diabetes might all need insulin injections. And, their doctor shall also ask them to check their blood sugar levels regularly. But most type 2 diabetics will not have to.
The type of medication, the amount one might take, and if you need proper insulin injections and it might also change over time.
One might also have regular check-ups with the doctor for reviewing proper treatment plans. Some people with type 2 diabetes might be all able to stop consumption of medication in case they might control their blood sugar levels with a healthy balanced diet, which might be about regular exercise and losing weight.