- Acne shall usually begin in the teenage years and disappears after eight to 10 years. In some of the cases, it can further persist until the 30s and even 40s.
Acne like condition is caused by inflammation of the hair follicles. It most commonly affects the face, back and chest. Features that include blackheads, pimples (zits), whiteheads, and cysts. In severe cases, acne might further lea to permanent scarring.
Cysts are known to be lumps under the skin that might have pus and other tissue in them, but do not come to a head including pimples. They might also lead to scarring, blotchy, uneven skin color and pitting.
Unfortunately, acne is known for hitting people at a time when they might mostly wish to look their best. Acne might be about making teenagers feel embarrassed and bad about themselves.
There are multiple treatments that are all available for acne over the counter from pharmacies. The most effective of these might be benzyl peroxide that is an antiseptic. It shall also work for preventing new pimples from forming and in general, the benefits are usual seen after six to eight weeks of daily use.
The family doctor can further help in prescribing retinoid creams, antibiotic creams or antibiotic tablets that can also work to prevent new pimples from forming. In general, the benefits are first seen post six to eight weeks of daily use. They might be used together with benzyl peroxide creams.
Acne – Hormones And Genetics
At the start of puberty, androgen hormones are all known for releasing into the body. Both boys and girls might have androgens, but boys might further have more of them. Androgens shall lead the oil glands in the skin of the face, neck, back, shoulders and chest to enlarge and further produce more oil (sebum).
Bacteria that might normally live on the skin surface digest the oil and by-products from this digestion like irritation on the skin, block the pores and produce blackheads, pimples and cysts.
Girls might further tend to reach puberty earlier than boys and it shall develop acne at a younger age. Acne might further be worse or ‘break out’ at certain times of a girl’s menstrual cycle, that shall be before a period.
Self-Help Strategies For Acne
There are numerous suggestions to manage acne, they include the below:
- Cleansing – While using and cleaning some of the specifically which are developed for acne-prone skin can help. One must try washing the affected areas twice per day. Do not overdo it. Too much cleansing like condition can also lead to some other skin issues, like dryness or skin irritations. Try to keep the hair completely hair clean and off the face and neck, as oil from the hair can make the state of acne worse
- Make up – choose some high-quality water-based, oil-free products where possible to avoid and worsening acne by simply clogging the pores with oils or powder. Make up should also be thoroughly removed before one might go to bed
- Do Not squeeze – picking and squeezing pimples can just make them worse and it can lead to scarring
- Diet – there are some of the weak evidences that a low-GI diet might help some people with acne. Many people think that lollies or chocolate leads to pimples. However, some researches have not shown any strong link with these foods, but in case you might notice that eating certain foods can lead to pimples for you, simply try avoiding them.
Treatment For Acne – Non-Prescription
Some of the acne treatments might be well bought over the counter at pharmacies or supermarkets. These might simply work by cleaning the skin and further drying up excess oil. Mild irritation like condition can occur with these noted treatments. In case this might occur, take a short break from treatment and restart after a few days. In case the irritation is excessive, stop the medication and speak to the doctor about some of the alternative treatment.
It is actually a good idea to talk to a pharmacist before one might buy a product for finding out that treatment which might be the most useful one for you. A cleanser for acne-prone skin might be all that is well needed for mild acne like condition. Do not rely on advertisements or the advice of friends.
Treatment For Acne – Professional
In case your acne is not working good with over-the-counter treatments or in case you might have more severe forms of acne, you shall further need to see the doctor. The family doctor can further assess acne, for determining in case you are well developing any scarring and prescribe treatments specific for the type of acne you have.
They might also refer to a dermatologist for further assessment and possible prescription of isotretinoin. Post a course of isotretinoin, people are known to have cured their acne. Isotretinoin can have side-effects which might further need to be carefully explained for being before commencing treatment.
Medication can further lead to significant improvements as to how the skin might look and can lower the number of new pimples.
Some of the medical treatments are topical or oral and can include the below:
- Retinoids that are used for unblocking the pores of existing acne and preventing some of the new blockages from evolving
- Antibiotics to kill bacteria and might lower inflammation
- Hormonal agents, like the contraceptive pill can all lower the amount of androgen in the body and therefore oil secretion can occur