Do you see a new pimple pop up each time one might be consuming a pizza or a burger? Or, have you been monitoring the fried food consumption as one might know it shall lead to a zit the next morning? In case, your answer to these questions is a yes, you might probably wish to avoid certain foods for preventing acne-like condition. Read on to find out what they are and how they might be working.
Foods That Cause Acne
Before one might be getting to the list, they must also understand that food is not directly responsible for a condition like an acne. Only in case one might have acne-prone and excessively oily skin, or poor gut health and lack of a proper cleansing routine, about the following foods which can lead to a reaction.
- Sugar: Sugars that are consumed as refined white sugar in our homes and other forms just like sodas, tetra pack juices, honey, etc. are all rich in some refined carbs. These might get absorbed fast into the bloodstream, which shall help in raising the sugar levels. The enhancement in insulin levels might also push the excess sugar into the cells that in turn leads to acne like condition.
- Dairy Products: A study which is conducted on teenagers have all showed that consumption of low fat and skimmed milk might lead to an increase in acne. However, the relation between milk and acne is just not clear yet. In case you have notice acne post milk consumption, it is best to avoid consumption of any dairy product
- Fast Food: Teenagers who might consume high amounts of fast-food including burgers and fries are known to experience acne. However, the link that is between the consumption of fast food and what ingredient might exactly lead to acne is just so unknown.
- Chocolate: In a study which is conducted on males, it was further found that those who might consume 100% unsweetened cocoa might cause a significant enhancement of acne. The study might conclude that eating chocolate (which might contain milk which is a dairy product and sugar] which shall make the immune system react strongly to acne causing bacteria
- Greasy Food: Fried foods or items including bacon and burgers might have a lot of grease, which might also have extra fat in the meat. The excess oil and fat might all lead to an outbreak of pimples.
- Whey Protein Powder: Whey protein is known to be a rich source of proteins and amino acids including leucine and glutamine. This powder is usually consumed by male athletes and bodybuilders. However, consumption of the whey protein might make the skin’s cell grow and multiply faster, besides rising insulin levels that can also be a cause for acne.
- Refined Grains: Refined grains or refined white flour is just so super found in breads, pasta, cereals, and rice noodles. These might all have a high glycemic index and raise blood sugar levels. Insulin shall all make the androgen hormones more active, which shall all lead to faster cell growth and sebum production which shall all lead to acne like condition.
- Foods Rich In Omega-6 Fats: A western kind of diet with cornflakes, soybean oil, etc. are all known for increasing the risk of acne as they might all contain Omega-6 fats that are all inflammatory in nature. In case you are already having some acne-prone skin, eating these foods might all make you more vulnerable.
- Lean Meat And Animal Protein: Some of the people might have pimples, which are fairly large and dark red in colour; they might also appear along the jawline and the neck, besides the cheeks. These are due to an excessive intake of meats including chicken and mutton. Red meat can all lead to pimples, though the connection is unknown.
Keep in mind the above are all general guidelines. In case you might have a food, which shall make the skin flare up, just as it is not in one of the above categories, it is all likely known as a trigger for the acne. We are all made of some unique combination of chemicals and hormones, so it is always good form to keep track of what you are all eating and how it might affect the body.
While the jury might be just still out on if some consumption of the food might have a definite link to acne, there are some other foods that shall act as triggers and which can lead to an outbreak. It might occur with approx. 10% of the world’s population. Hence, in case you know that a certain dish or food item might be given you a pimple, it is best for avoiding to eat it completely. But most importantly, celebrate yourself and the body regardless of the acne and keep the confidence completely up and going. Acne shall come and go.
- Acne is known for affecting approx. 10% of the world’s population
- Those who might eat foods with added sugars might have a 30% higher risk of getting acne
- Eating cakes and pastries on regular basis increases the chances of developing acne by 20%
- Eating approx. 25 gms of 99% dark chocolate can significantly enhance the risk of acne
- Girls and women might get acne due to hormone level fluctuations which might be approx. 2 to 7 days before their periods