Active Ingredient: The active component of this medication is Lamotrigine, which belongs to a group of drugs called anticonvulsants or antiepileptic drugs. This component drug reduces the release of a substance in the brain called glutamate. This process prevents the neurons in the brain from becoming too active. It may have fewer seizures. In the treatment of a bipolar disorder, this medication may affect certain receptors in the brain that help control mood. This could reduce the number of mood episodes that occur.
Indications: This given anticonvulsant medicine is indicated alone or with other drugs to treat epileptic seizures in adults and children. Lamictal is approved to delay mood episodes in adults with bipolar disorder or manic depression. This medication can be indicated in children as young as 2 years old for seizure treatment with other seizure medication.
Action Mechanism: Mentioned antiepileptic drugs may also be used to prevent the extreme mood swings of bipolar disorder in adults. Lamictal is also known as an anticonvulsant drug that works by restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain.
Dosages: This popular brand drug is available in dosages as given below:
- 25 mg: It is to be consumed with or without food as directed by the doctor
- 50 mg: Consume this tablet as a whole with or without food as prescribed by the doctor
- 100 mg: Administer this medicine with or without food as advised by the doctor
- 150 mg: This conventional tablet is to be consumed as advised by the doctor
- 200 mg: It should be taken as directed by the doctor
Consult the doctor about the medical history of kidney disease, liver disease, a certain heart rhythm disorder. This drug should not be used as a single treatment in a child or teenager who is younger than 16 years old.