The active component of this medication is Ivermectin. It is a macrocyclic lactone derived from Streptomyces avermitilis that shows antiparasitic activity. This medication exerts its anthelmintic effect by activating glutamate-gated chloride channels. This component activated channels open but essentially irreversibly. It leads to neurons or muscle cells remaining at either hyper-polarisation or depolarization state to result in paralysis and death of the parasites. This medication does not readily pass the mammal blood-brain barrier to the central nervous system. So, the hosts are resistant to the effects of this active ingredient.
Given medication is indicated for the treatment of certain parasitic roundworm infections. It helps to improve the quality of life. In people with weakened immune systems, curing roundworm infections can decrease the risk of developing a severe or life-threatening infection. Ivermectin is an antihelmintic medicine that paralyzes and kills parasites.
This mentioned medication is an antiparasitic medication that works by binding to invertebrate muscle and nerve cells of parasites that may induce paralysis and death of parasites. Ivermectin is active against the non-adult form of Onchocerca volvulus and the intestinal activity of Strongyloides stercoralis. It binds to parts inside the parasite that eventually paralyzes and kills off the parasite that heals the infection.
It is made available in a dosage as given below:
- 3 mg: It is an oral tablet that should be taken with a full glass of water on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before a meal as directed by the doctor.
Do not drink alcoholic beverages while treating with this medicine.
What is Stromectol?
- Stromectol belongs to a group of medicines called anthelmintic, these are medicines that bind to the nerve and muscle cells of parasites, resulting in their death.
What is Stromectol used for?
- Stromectol is used in the treatment of intestinal strongyloidiasis, parasites in the blood or tissue caused by Wuchereria bancrofti, and human scabies after prior treatment has failed.
How to take Stromectol?
- Stromectol is dosed according to the patient’s weight, this may vary from patient to patient and the condition being treated.
Is Stromectol safe for pregnant women?
- Stromectol is not safe for pregnant women, it may exhibit the growth of the fetus.
How to store Stromectol?
- Keep Stromectol in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 30°C. Do not store it or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.