- Famotidine, H2 blockers treat ulcers of the stomach and intestines i.e. Gastric Ulcer, and prevent them from reappearing.
- This medicine also treats certain stomach and throat problems such as erosive esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease-GERD, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Directions for Use
PEPCID should be taken once or twice a day with or without food at bedtime, as prescribed by the doctor
Do’s and Don’ts
- Contact the doctor in the case observed serious side effects like heartburn with lightheadedness/sweating/dizziness, chest/jaw/arm/shoulder pain (especially with shortness of breath, unusual sweating), unexplained weight loss
- Seek medical help in case observed symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, like rash, itching/swelling, especially of the face/tongue/throat, severe dizziness, trouble breathing
- Perform medical tests like endoscopy, and kidney function tests periodically
- Missed dose can be taken when remembered
- Do not smoke or consume alcoholic beverages
- Tablets should be swallowed as whole
- Constipation, or diarrhea
- Easy bruising/bleeding
- Fast/slow/irregular heartbeat
- Signs of infection such as sore throat
- Mental/mood changes like restlessness, confusion, depression, hallucinations
- Before consuming Famotidine talk to the doctor in case of a medical history of immune system problems, kidney problems, liver problems, or lung problems e.g., asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-COPD, other stomach problems
- Not suitable for children younger than 12
- Overdose may cause severe health problems or trouble breathing
- Consumption of PEPCID may be harmful to pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women strictly avoid the consumption of Famotidine
- Store PEPCID carefully after every use at 77oF
- Do not store PEPCID exposure to direct sunlight
- Protect Famotidine from children and pets
- Throw PEPCID in household trash or mix it with unpalatable substances like coffee ground
- Do not crush PEPCID and packed it in sealed plastic bags before disposal.
What is Pepcid?
Famotidine is in a group of drugs called histamine-2 blockers. Famotidine works by decreasing the amount of acid the stomach produces.
What is Pepcid used for?
The combination of famotidine, calcium, and magnesium is used to relieve heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach.
How to consume Pepcid?
The chewable tablet must be chewed thoroughly before swallowing. The usual dose of famotidine, calcium, and magnesium is one tablet as needed, up to twice per day. Do not use more than two tablets in 24 hours.
What happens if Pepcid is consumed in excess?
Overdose symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, fast heart rate, or fainting.
What should be avoided while taking Pepcid?
Do not take Pepcid together with regular famotidine (Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Pepcid RPD) or another acid reducer.