Synthroid is composed of active ingredient Levothyroxine Sodium. It is indicated for the treatment of hyperthyroidism. It is made available in various dosages like 25 mcg, 50 mcg, 75 mcg, 88 mcg, 100 mcg, 125 mcg, 175 mcg, and 200 mcg. It is composed as a conventional tablet form. AbbVie Inc., a trusted pharmaceutical company manufactures this medication.
Manufacturer: AbbVie Inc.
Active Ingredient: Active component of this medicine is Levothyroxine Sodium. This active component is deiodinated by 5'-deiodinase to form triiodothyronine (T3). These T3 enters the cell and binds to nuclear thyroid hormone receptors. This process activates the hormone-receptor complex, in turn, triggers gene expression that produces proteins required in the regulation of cellular respiration, thermogenesis, cellular growth and differentiation, and the metabolism of proteins.
Indications: This effective medication is indicated to treat an underactive thyroid. It replaces or provides more thyroid hormone. It normally made by the thyroid gland. Low thyroid hormone levels can occur naturally or when the thyroid gland is injured by radiation/drugs or removed by surgery. Thyroid hormone is necessary for maintaining normal mental and physical activity. It is also used to treat other types of thyroid disorders like certain types of goiters, or thyroid cancer.
Synthroid should not be used to treat infertility unless it is caused by low thyroid hormone levels.
Action Mechanism: This medicine is a hormone that works by providing the thyroid hormone that the thyroid gland would produce if it were working normally.
Dosages: This mentioned medicine Synthroid is available in various dosages as given below:
- 25 mcg: Consume this tablet once a day on an empty stomach, 30 minutes to 1 hour before breakfast as prescribed by the doctor
- 50 mcg: It is to be consumed on an empty stomach at the time of breakfast as directed by the doctor
- 75 mcg: Administer this tablet before breakfast on an empty stomach exactly as mentioned in the prescription by the doctor
- 88 mcg: Consume this tablet before or after a meal on an empty stomach, as advised by the doctor
- 100 mcg: It is to be taken on an empty stomach as directed by the doctor
- 125 mcg: Take it once a day on an empty stomach as directed by the doctor
- 175 mcg: Administer this tablet once a day as prescribed by the doctor
- 200 mcg: It is to be consumed on an empty stomach before breakfast as advised by the doctor
Note: Dosage should be based on age, weight, medical condition, laboratory test results, and response to treatment.