Zyprexa is an effective medication for the treatment of psychotic conditions like schizophrenia and the symptoms of mood disorders such as bipolar disorder. This drug has an active ingredient Olanzapine. This drug is manufactured by one of the top pharmaceutical companies, Eli Lilly & Co. Ltd. It is made available as a conventional tablet form in various dosages as 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 7.5 mg, 10 mg, 15 mg, and 20 mg.
Manufacturer: Eli Lilly & Co. Ltd.
Active Ingredient: This effective medication contains Olanzapine. This medication shows antipsychotic, antinausea, and antiemetic activities. It acts as a selective monoaminergic antagonist and binds with high-affinity binding to the following receptors: serotoninergic, dopaminergic, muscarinic M1-5, histamine H1, and alpha-1-adrenergic receptors. This drug binds weakly to gamma-aminobutyric acid type A, benzodiazepine, and beta-adrenergic receptors. This anti-nausea and antiemetic effects of this agent appear to be due to the blockade of 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors for serotonin.
Indications: This given drug is an antipsychotic medication that affects chemicals in the brain. Zyprexa is indicated to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions like schizophrenia and the symptoms of mood disorders such as bipolar disorder in adults and children who are at least 13 years old. It is sometimes used together with other antipsychotic medications or antidepressants.
Action Mechanism: This mentioned mediation acts through a combination of dopamine and serotonin type 2 receptor site antagonism. Zyprexa works in the brain, where it affects the activity of various neurotransmitters, in particular dopamine and serotonin. It also blocks the receptors in the brain that dopamine acts on the activity of the brain.
Dosages: This medicine is available in various dosages as mentioned below:
- 2.5 mg: This medication should be taken orally once a day with or without food as directed by the doctor
- 5 mg: It is to be consumed with or without food once a day as prescribed by the doctor
- 7.5 mg: It is to be administered once a day exactly as mentioned in the prescription by the doctor
- 10 mg: This tablet must be taken once a day before o after a meal as advised by the doctor
- 15 mg: It must be consumed with food once a day, as directed by the doctor
- 20 mg: It should be taken as exactly advised by the doctor, do not go against it
Note: This drug is not approved in people with psychotic behavior related to dementia. It may increase the risk of death in older people with dementia-related conditions.