When you have loose or watery stools i.e. unusual bowel movements you are suffering from Diarrhea. If you need to go 2 to 3 times for bowel movement then, it is a sign of Diarrhea. If this health condition lasts for short time, then it is known as acute diarrhea. This condition is very common that lasts for 2 to 3 days or sometimes longer. When this condition lasts for longer, it indicates severity of the condition.
If the condition continues up to 4 weeks then it is called chronic diarrhea. It can come and go, or continual. It may lead to irritable bowel disorder, inflammatory bowel disease, or persistent infection.
Causes of Diarrhea
Various diseases cause Diarrhea. There are some factors that cause this condition as mentioned below.
- Viruses: Viruses such as cytomegalovirus, Norwalk virus, and viral hepatitis. The most common virus that causes this condition in children is Rotavirus
- Bacteria and parasites: Contaminated water or food contains bacteria or parasites that enter into the body. There is another type of bacteria like clostridium difficile can cause serious infections that lead to diarrhea
- Medication: Many medicines like antibiotics can cause conditions like diarrhea. Antibiotic medicines destroy bacteria. It may kill good bacteria also, which can imbalance the bacteria in the intestines. Also, some drugs like cancer drugs or antacids may cause this condition
- Lactose intolerance: When people face difficulty in digesting lactose have diarrhea when they eat dairy products. This intolerance can increase with age
- Fructose: Fructose is good sugar, found naturally in substances like honey and fruits. It is used as sweetener to various beverages. People with problems in digesting fructose cause Diarrhea
- Artificial sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners like Sorbitol or mannitol used in chewing gum and other sugar-free products may cause diarrhea
- Surgery: Gallbladder or Abdominal removal surgeries sometimes lead to diarrhea
- Other digestive disorders: Chronic diarrhea has many other reasons, like Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and microscopic colitis
Diagnosis of Diarrhea
To diagnose the condition the doctor will discuss medical history examine the physical health. You need to tests some laboratory tests to exactly diagnose the condition are mentioned below:
- Blood test: To determine the exact cause, you need to test your blood count
- Stool test: Your stool might be tested for bacterium or parasite that causes diarrhea
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy: Flexible sigmoidoscopy gives a view of lower colon and colonoscopy allows the doctor to see the entire colon
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Signs and symptoms associated with diarrhea may include:
- Watery or loose stools
- Stomach/abdominal cramps
- Stomach/Abdominal pain
- High fever
- Bloody stool
- Mucus found in the stool
- Nausea or Bloating
- Frequently urge to have a bowel movement
Diarrhea leads to dehydration. This condition may be dangerous in children, older people, and people with weak immune systems.
Treatment for Diarrhea
Nitazoxanide is the main active component used in the medication for the treatment of Diarrhea. This ingredient is used in effective medication Alinia, which is manufactured by the leading pharmaceutical company, Romark Pharmaceutical. It prevents the growth of Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum. The parasites Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parvum are protozoans that induce health condition diarrhea. It obstructs the conversion of chemicals to energy in protozoal cells.